This is it!!! My DIY room, I can’t say this project was cheap because (it’s not) most of the items are from Ikea (my love). We don’t have Ikea here in the Philippines so I had those items shipped from Singapore and it took about four big boxes – big meaning, each box stood 4 feet high while some are from my travels around Asia and Australia.
You must know that all the furniture that I shipped in was assembled by yours truly, LOL, and honestly I enjoyed every minute and scratch with it. Let’s start first with how it’s supposed to look like, with the use of Photoshop – you just have to use a bit of imagination to visualize it from my own perspective, LOL.
And there you go, a room using Ikea furniture, LOL. How do you find this design? Start drooling over it because that’s not how my room is going to look like! Far better, LOL! Are you ready? The renovation ended over 2 weeks ago but I couldn’t post any photographs because I was waiting for my best friend to take them for me. Yes, these photographs that you’re about to see were taken by my pregnant (with twins) best friend, Riz (who married my guy best friend, sweet, Huh?). She and my other best friend, Ivy – spent an afternoon of bonding that you will see later too.
So drumroll please!!! The final look of my new room, Simple and Better!
This room is about 3 meters X 3.5 meters, small but what can I say – small can be FANTASTIC! The walls are now in white and if you must know, the roller shade which I bought from Ikea was way too tall for the boxes I had shipped, so I had that check-in in my flight back home. Before I used curtains but I’m a changed woman – no more curtains for me! I sleep on a single bed, well I share this bed with my Chihuahua, Bambie and I decided to swap my bed frame from the spare bed we have and it turned out just nice.
Now let’s go through the details of where I got these pieces from. I have mentioned before how in-love I am with snow globes and a proof of that – here you will see a few of them. On top of my bed, I had asked my dad to drill for me this shelf which I just love!
- A: Big frame, shelf & holders and printed cloth behind are from Ikea. Snow globe was from a shop in Singapore named TYPO, the letter ‘M’, heart and human model are from the same shop. The framed butterfly, I got this from my trip in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia.
- B: Side table, beddings, picture frame are from Ikea. The ‘LOVE’ word, coaster and magnetic tree are from TYPO. The owl was from a shop in Singapore named Odjectives. The lamp was a souvenir from Universal Studios Singapore. The kissing snow globe was my Beijing, China trip and the other snow globe was from Sydney, Australia. The camera I got it from eBay which I have not tried using yet but it kind of looks nice there already so i have no plans of using it anymore. The magnets are from my Bangkok, Thailand trip, oh those are hand crafted magnets, hihihi. The four-drawer small cabinet, I got it from my Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam trip, in those drawers you will find bracelets, headbands and other hair accessories.
- C: Twiggy the big dog was from Singapore and Lulu the blue Ugly Doll was a gift from Riz & Bud (from the US of A)
You are aware of how much I love photos right? Here you go, plenty of photographs. The framed photographs were from my trip in Sydney, Australia (taken with film cameras). Those frames took hours to be positioned, haha. Or maybe because I took my sweet time doing it.
- D: This is Riz & Bud, LOL – this photograph is from an instax camera (same concept with Polaroid).
- E: The photograph with my two buddies came from a Polaroid. The guitar magnet was from my sister, she bought it from Cebu, Philippines. The ‘quote card’ was from the wedding invitation of Riz & Bud.
- F: The desk, frames, lamp, sun accent (holding instax photographs) are all from Ikea.
These are the things you will see on my desk, aside from a laptop of course. After my Encounter with God I have decided to make a prayer calendar, I used a regular calendar and wrote the family names myself – nice right? What’s even nicer is how God answers our prayers, here are a few verses of His promises.
24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
- G: The small mannequin, I got this from my trip in Bangkok, Thailand. The shells and snow globe are from Singapore. The red platform is actually a heart-shaped wood – from TYPO.
- H: The calendar was a gift from my Auntie and the book or frame stand; I got this from an Artsy Craftsy shop in Singapore.
This side of the room was not fully shown here, it’s on the left side of my desk. This is the area where the TV, Cable and HDMI Player are located at. The shelves that you are seeing now, I drilled those myself and seriously my respect and love for carpenters and construction workers will never be the same again! I salute you all!!!
- I: Big frame, shelf & holders are from Ikea. The world map is actually a wrapping paper which looks nicer on a frame, don’t you think so?
- J: The red shelf is from Ikea. I just can’t have too many snow globes, Ey? The New York snow globe was a gift from Bud, the medium snow globe was from my Beijing, China trip and the small one was Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- K: The green dog/reindeer was one of my souvenirs from Sydney, Australia and the wonderful globe was a gift from my good friend Glaiza (who lives in Singapore).
- L: The white book end and human model were from TYPO. The word ‘dream’ is locally made, I got it from a shop named Papemelroti. The ‘gong’ was from my trip in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam where I got 5 stars from bargaining! The snow globes were souvenirs from Singapore Zoo.
Here are more little details that made a big difference. Those hats that you see are actually at the back of my door that I painted with white too. The frame with a cage print is at the side of my cabinet.
- M: This sun accent is from Ikea and those photographs are from 3 different instax cameras and those faces are the people closest to my heart.
- N: This is a good way of displaying those hats and mostly for them not to lose form, instead of placing them inside your cabinets and then you start to forget about them, LOL.
- O: I got this frame from TYPO. Yes! I am a fan of that shop!
- P: This is what’s on my side table; the book end and Polaroid lamp (yes! That’s a lamp), I got those from TYPO, on sale! The round box is the packaging box of Crabtree & Evelyn, nice right? I actually bought perfumes and lotions because of the box.
Yes I heart wire works! I love them so much that I hand-carried those items from my travels. They are just very useful and great accent pieces too!
- Q: It’s a nice piece decoratively and it serves it purpose fully, I got this from Bangkok, Thailand.
- R: This heart wire accent is sort of a bulletin thingy, I got this from Berrima, Australia.
Here are a few more items that I purchased from Ikea that were not shown in the photographs. I especially heart the red file cabinet! When I saw this in Ikea, I just fell in love with it. And assembling it was just fun too! If only we have Ikea here – I probably would be there every week!
- S: I use this to store my shoes and sandals, I got rid of all the boxes and now they just look uniform and nicely stored.
- T: I’ve decided to use two of this instead of using a tall book shelf/cabinet, I use these to store my file folders in and it’s good to use when you don’t have so much space.
- U: You can laugh all you want but I bought this trash can because of its color!
- V: This file cabinet is probably my favourite purchase in Ikea.
- W: I have this beside my bed, I usually use this when I watch movies on my laptop, instead of using the side table that doesn’t have enough space for a laptop. And the best part with this, it’s movable and light in weight!
I re-painted all the walls with white and used red and black as accents. It’s simple but lively. I’ve always been fond of collecting things but now I still get to do that but I have used them as my accent pieces – I displayed only the key pieces, my sweet memorabilias from my travels and my loves. The most important thing to remember when designing for your bedroom, make sure that everything in it is what you love and you are comfortable with. And the best part with having a room that you love, you would want your friends to experience it too!!!
There now you’ve seen it all, it’s time to enjoy them! I love my room so much that I can actually stay in it for hours/days but of course sharing it with those you love is FUN too!!!
My friends since birth and our kids will be friends too, they won’t have a choice! LOL
Friends forever – mushiness. Oh, there’s Riz (the one in the middle) pregnant with twins!!! And there’s Ivy with the colorful stripes dress.
I enjoyed sharing my space with you and I’m sure you enjoyed my tour as well… because It’s More Fun In My Room! LOL
Photographs were taken by my friend, Riz.